Chinese Australian Dance Exchange Project 2015-2020
Since 2015, EDC has entered into a groundbreaking partnership with China's leading contemporary dance companies. Extending until 2020, the Chinese Australian Dance Exchange Project features the creation of collaborative new works, residencies, exchanges and tours.
Highlights of the five-year project include:
- Collaborative new contemporary dance works created by significant Australian, Chinese and international choreographers and featuring the dancers from EDC and contemporary dance companies from China including Guangdong Modern Dance Company, Beijing/LDTX Dance and City Contemporary Dance Company (CCDC) from Hong Kong
- Partnering with Guangdong Dance Festival and Beijing Dance Festival
- Residencies - where the companies spend time creating new works in each other's countries
- Exchanges - where dancers from each country spend time working and performing in the other country
- Tours, festivals and seasons - where new collaborative works, as well as individual works by each company, are presented, both in China and Australia; and
- Touring throughout China and Australia
May - June: EDC travelled to Guangzhou to collaborate with Guangdong Modern Dance Company (GMDC) to create a new work, Black, by acclaimed Hong Kong choreographer Xing Liang
February: GMDC travelled to Brisbane to perform Black in a sold-out triple bill season with EDC at QPAC
October - December: EDC travelled to China to perform Black at the Guangdong Dance Festival before embarking on a tour of the region to multiple venues, providing workshops for young local dancers along the way.
February: Chinese choreographer Xu Yiming joins EDC as guest choreographer for its Propel season
May: Xu Yiming joined EDC for a five week residency to guest dance in EDC’s signature work, Behind Closed Doors, at QPAC
October-November: EDC travels to Hong Kong for a residency and creation of a collaborative work with City Contemporary Dance Company (CCDC). This will culminate in a showing of the new work.
April: Dominic Wong, Assistant Director of CCDC, will be in residency at EDC to choreograph a new work as part of collaborative work to be presented at QPAC.
May: EDC travels to Hong Kong and joins CCDC for a high profile season of their collaborative work
June: CCDC and EDC season in Brisbane
This project has been assisted by the Australian Government through the Department of Communication and the Arts’ Catalyst - Australian Arts and Culture Fund.
The Guangdong Dance Festival Component is supported by the Australian Government through the Australia-China Council of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
Black (the first collaborative piece of the Chinese Australian Dance Exchange Project) is produced by Expressions Dance Company, Guangdong Modern Dance Company and Queensland Performing Arts Centre