Chinese Australian Dance Exchange Project 2015-2020
Since 2015, EDC has entered into a groundbreaking partnership with China's leading contemporary dance companies. Extending until 2020, the Chinese Australian Dance Exchange Project features the creation of collaborative new works, residencies, exchanges and tours. Since 2015 this international exchange has featured:
- May - June 2015: EDC travelled to Guangzhou to collaborate with Guangdong Modern Dance Company (GMDC) to create a new work, Black, by acclaimed Hong Kong choreographer Xing Liang
- February 2016: GMDC travelled to Brisbane to perform Black in a sold-out triple bill season with EDC at QPAC
- October - December 2016: EDC will travel to China to perform Black at the Guangdong Dance Festival before embarking on a tour of the region to multiple venues, providing workshops for young local dancers along the way.
Further highlights of the five-year project include:
- Collaborative new contemporary dance works created by significant Australian, Chinese and international choreographers and featuring the dancers from EDC and contemporary dance companies from China including Guangdong Modern Dance Company, Beijing/LDTX Dance and City Contemporary Dance Company (CCDC) from Hong Kong
- Partnering with Guangdong Dance Festival and Beijing Dance Festival
- Residencies - where the companies spend time creating new works in each other's countries
- Exchanges - where dancers from each country spend time working and performing in the other country
- Tours, festivals and seasons - where new collaborative works, as well as individual works by each company, are presented, both in China and Australia; and
- Touring throughout China and Australia
This project has been assisted by the Australian Government through the Department of Communication and the Arts’ Catalyst - Australian Arts and Culture Fund.
The Guangdong Dance Festival Component is supported by the Australian Government through the Australia-China Council of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
EDC dancer Elise May talks about her experiences working with China's Guangdong Modern Dance Company and the experience of sharing stories through the universal language of dance.